Applying for a Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma
Undergraduate Degree Services assists students who apply for their bachelor’s degree and diploma and verifies that all degree requirements have been met. The student’s Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma initiates the graduation process, participation in Commencement and receipt of the diploma.
Students may apply for graduation once they have completed 90 units (including work in progress). There are three official graduation dates each calendar year—the final day of the Fall semester, the final day of the Spring semester and the final day of Summer term.
Follow these steps:
- Once completing 90 units of coursework, print and complete the Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma form.
- Access Degree Progress Report and Planner through myNorthridge Portal. Use Degree Progress Report and Planner to plan remaining coursework in future terms. Print a copy of the completed audit showing completed and planned courses. For assistance, see the tutorials for Degree Planning Tools.
- Schedule an appointment with a major advisor. Bring the completed Degree Progress Report and Planner and Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma to the advising session to discuss the major curriculum, major catalog year and anticipated graduation date (Fall, Spring or Summer). Students planning to graduate with a second major and/or minor should include the additional major and/or minor and the catalog year on the application. Obtain the advisors’ signatures for the major, second major and/or minor on the application.
- Submit the completed “Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma,” a copy of the Degree Progress Report and Planner, a department evaluation (for Journalism or Kinesiology majors only), and the appropriate fee to Undergraduate Degree Services in Bayramian Hall (BH) 170. Students who apply after the filing period deadline may delay receipt of their graduation evaluation and graduating senior status priority registration appointment time. Commencement participation could also be affected.
- Undergraduate Degree Services will notify the student by email when the graduation evaluation is complete. A copy of the graduation evaluation will be available online through myNorthridge Portal. The graduation evaluation reflects units applicable toward degree requirements only. Therefore, the units listed on the graduation evaluation may be lower than the cumulative units reflected on other CSUN documents. Students with questions about their graduation evaluation should contact their major and/or minor advisor or their graduation advisor in Undergraduate Degree Services at (818) 677-3781. At least one semester of coursework must be completed in residence at CSUN before Undergraduate Degree Services can complete a graduation evaluation.
- Students will be invited to the annual Commencement ceremony for the academic year in which they graduate. Students who decide to participate in the ceremony should follow the instructions in the Commencement Handbook. Further information can be found on the Commencement website. Participation in the ceremony does not mean that a student has officially graduated from CSUN. All degree requirements must be completed before the degree can be awarded.
Students who do not complete their final requirements by the end of the term for which they applied to graduate will need to change their graduation date to the semester of actual completion and submit a Bachelor’s Degree Date Change Form to Undergraduate Degree Services in Bayramian Hall (BH) 170.
- The Notice of Graduation will be emailed to students when their degree is posted. The diploma will be mailed three to six weeks after official graduation is posted.