Applying for Your Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma
Your application for the Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma initiates the graduation process, participation in Commencement and receipt of your diploma.
You may apply for graduation once you have completed 90 units (including work-in-progress). There are three official graduation dates each calendar year—the final day of the Fall semester, the final day of the Spring semester and the final day of the Summer term.
Follow these steps:
- 1. Once you have completed 90 units of course work, print and complete the Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma form located at www.csun.edu/anr/forms/applba.pdf.
- 2. Access My Academic Planner (MAP) through the myNorthridge Portal. Use your MAP to plan your remaining course work in future terms. Print a copy of your completed My Academic Planner (MAP). You may view the My Academic Planner guide located at www.csun.edu/anr/soc/guides/map.html .
- 3. Schedule an appointment with a major advisor. Bring your completed MAP and Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma to your advising session to discuss the major curriculum, major Catalog year and your anticipated graduation date (3 official graduation dates— Fall, Spring or Summer). If you plan to graduate with a second major and/or minor, include the additional major and/or minor and the Catalog year on the application. Secure the advisor’s signatures for the major, second major and/or minor on the application.
- 4. Submit your completed Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma, a copy of your MAP, a Department evaluation (for Journalism majors only) and the appropriate fee to Admissions and Records at the Student Services Center in Bayramian Hall.
Important Note: Applying after the filing period deadline may delay receipt of your graduation evaluation and your graduating senior status priority registration appointment time. Commencement participation could be affected.
- 5. The Undergraduate Degree Services Office will notify you via email when your graduation evaluation is complete. A copy of your graduation evaluation will be available online through the myNorthridge Portal. The graduation evaluation reflects units applicable toward Degree requirements only. Therefore, the units listed on the graduation evaluation may be lower than the cumulative units reflected on other CSUN documents. If you have any questions about your graduation evaluation, contact your major and/or minor advisor or the Undergraduate Degree Services Office at (818) 677-3781.
Note: At least 1 semester of work must be completed in residence at CSUN before our office can complete a graduation evaluation.
- 6. You will be invited to the commencement ceremony for the academic year in which you graduate. If you decide to participate in the annual commencement ceremony, follow the instructions in the Commencement Handbook. Information about the ceremony can be found at the Commencement website at www.csun.edu/commencement/.
Note: Participation in the ceremony does not mean that you have officially graduated from CSUN. All Degree requirements must be completed before a Degree is awarded.
If you do not complete your final requirements by the end of your anticipated graduation date, you will need to change your graduation date to the semester of actual completion and submit a Bachelor’s Degree Date Change form to the Undergraduate Degree Services Office located in Bayramian Hall, room 150.
- 7. Your diploma and letter of congratulations will be mailed to you 3 to 6 weeks after your official graduation is posted. There are 3 official graduation dates each calendar year—the final day of the Fall semester, the final day of the Spring semester and the final day of the Summer term. These are the only dates on CSUN diplomas.