Mike Curb College of Arts, Media, and Communication
- Chair: Kenneth Sakatani
- Associate Chair: Lesley Krane
- Art and Design Center (ADC) 120
- (818) 677-2242
Requirements for the B.A. in Art
1. Lower Division Required Courses (15 units)
- ART 124A Drawing I (3)
- ART 124B Drawing I (3)
- ART 140 Beginning 2-Dimensional Design (3)
- ART 141 Beginning 3-Dimensional Design (3)
- ART 200 Art, Media and Visualization (3)
Select two of the following courses: (6 units)
- ART 110 World Arts: The Western Tradition (3)
- ART 112 World Arts: Africa, Oceania and the Americas (3)
- ART 114 World Arts: Asia (3)
2. Lower Division Electives (minimum of 6 units)
Art electives (100- and 200-level courses)
The selection of Lower Division electives will be for the purpose of satisfying prerequisites for Upper Division courses or for sampling areas in which the student might wish to specialize.
3. Upper Division Required Courses (9 units)
Art History: Select two of the following:
4. Upper Division Electives (18 units)
A minimum of 18 units of Upper Division courses shall be selected with the aid of an art advisor from one or more areas of concentration. It is recommended that students planning to do graduate study in Art complete a minimum of 12 Upper Division units in one area of concentration.
ART 200 Introduction to Visual Technology is a prerequisite or co-requisite to the following Upper Division non-General Education studio courses:
|Total Units in the Major||54|
|General Education Units||48|
|Total Units Required for a B.A. Degree||120|
Areas of Concentration
Lower Division and Upper Division courses are listed by Areas of Concentration. Students may take any course listed in any Area of Concentration (provided that they have satisfied course prerequisites or have instructor’s consent).
Art History: ART 311 (does not satisfy the Upper Division Core Requirement for Art majors), 313, 318, 401, 403, 404, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 420, 421, 423, 425, 426, 428, 431, 432, 433, 441, 445, 448, 461, 462, 468, 496A-Z.
A. Visual Arts
Up to 6 units of Upper Division photojournalism in the Department of Journalism may be applied toward the Art Major when students have taken the prerequisites of ART 250 and one Upper Division photography class.
B. Additional Courses
Additional Course Offerings Available for Art Major Elective Credit:
ART 481 Art as Therapy (3)
ART 499 Independent Study (maximum of 6 units toward
Art degree requirements)
Art courses that do not qualify as credit toward the Art Major: