Program: B.A., Liberal Studies
The Liberal Studies option in Interdisciplinary Studies is a broad undergraduate liberal arts major leading to the B.A. degree. It is an interdisciplinary major with a balance of studies in the language arts, natural sciences, mathematics, social sciences, humanities, visual arts and performing arts. Courses are drawn from various academic departments throughout the University. The Liberal Studies major can provide a general liberal arts degree.
1. Core Courses (33 units)
1. The Global Humanities (3 units)
2. Philosophy and Culture (3 units)
3. Social Science (3 units)
4. Languages Other than English (3 units)
5. Literature (3 units)
6. Cultural Studies (3 units)
7. Intermediate/Advanced Writing (3 units)
8. The Environment (3 units)
9. Science, Technology Culture (3 units)
10. Ethics (3 units)
11. Cultural Theories and Methodologies (3 units)
2. Track G: Essential Knowledges for the Global Workplace (21 units)
12. The American Enterprise System (3 units)
13. Quantitative Literacy (3 units)
14. Critical Thinking (3 units)
15. Cultural Literacy (3 units)
16. Communication Competency (6 units)
17. Information Literacy (3 units)
3. General Education (48 units)
Total Units in the Major: 54
General Education Units: 48
Additional Units: 18
Total Units Required for the B.A. Degree: 120
Department of Liberal Studies
Chair: Ranita Chatterjee
Education Administration (EA) 100
Student Learning Outcomes
The Department of Liberal Studies at California State University, Northridge, is committed to producing socially responsible, informed and engaged individuals who value diversity and:
- Demonstrate proficient knowledge in their area of specialization and a range of disciplines.
- Demonstrate proficiency in multimodal communication.
- Access, evaluate and make use of a range of informational resources.
- Demonstrate a depth of critical thinking.