Program: Public Health Nurse Certificate
Section 2818(a) of the Business and Professions Code requires that in order to be employed as a public health nurse or use the term “public health nurse” in California, an individual must possess a valid California Public Health Nurse (PHN) Certificate. The CSUN Nursing Program curriculum is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing to prepare eligible applicants for certification in public health nursing in the State of California. Certification is granted by the Board of Nursing (BRN) after completion of curriculum and application to the Board.
Procedures for PHN application: Visit California BRN website and the CSUN Nursing website.
A. Eligibility Requirements
- Evidence of a permanent California RN license that is current, clear and active. (A temporary license or interim license is not acceptable.)
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree documented by one of the following:
- Official transcripts from a school accredited by the National League of Nursing (NLN) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), which includes coursework in public health nursing. Graduates of the CSUN RN-BSN Program, see nursing advisor.
- Official transcripts for a degree in a field other than nursing, and completion of required CSUN coursework with a minimum grade of “C” in each course.
- Official transcripts from an accredited BSN foreign institution and completion of required CSUN coursework with a minimum grade of “C” in each course. Foreign transcripts need to be evaluated by an approved international evaluation service.
- Basic computer skills.
B. Required Courses
HSCI 390/L Biostatistics and Lab (3/1)
HSCI 488 Epidemiology (3)
NURS 302 Pathophysiology (3)
NURS 306 Supportive/Educative Nursing Systems (3)
NURS 307/L Health Assessment and Lab (2/1)
NURS 308 Family Systems Nursing (3)
NURS 310 Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice (3)
NURS 426 Nursing Systems Issues and Ethics (3)
NURS 428/L Community and Population Health Nursing and Lab (3/2)
Total Units for the Certificate: 30
For more information about this program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Department of Nursing
Chair: Rebekah Child
Jacaranda Hall (JD) 2210