Program: Single Subject Preliminary Credential
Integrated Teacher Credential Program
Candidates who complete a Single Subject Credential program are specialists in the teaching of a subject area such as English, mathematics, physical education or science, and they are able to work with students in diverse classroom settings. Candidates meet subject matter competency by completing an approved program specified by the subject area department or by passing all sections of the appropriate examination(s), including the California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET). For information regarding admission, requirements and subject programs approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and subject matter examinations, see the Credential section of this Catalog. For detailed information on each approved subject program, see the department that offers the program (e.g., Art, English, Mathematics, Kinesiology) in this Catalog. Descriptions of Secondary Education credential program courses appear later in this section. For other professional education courses, see listings of the department offering the course (e.g., Educational Psychology and Counseling, Health Science). All Single Subject programs, including Bilingual Authorization, as described below, have been approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and meet the requirements of Senate Bill 2042, including an English Learner authorization. All accepted candidates enroll in one of these programs:
- Traditional Program
- Accelerated Collaborative Teacher Preparation Program (ACT)
- Single Subject University Intern Program (SSUIP)
- Four-Year Integrated (FYI) Teacher Credential Program (in English, History-Social Science, or Mathematics)
- Junior-Year Entry Integrated (JYI) Teacher Credential Program (in English, History-Social Science, or Mathematics)
- Bilingual Authorization Credential Program
- Dual Single Subject/Education Specialist Teaching Credential (Mild/Moderate Disabilities)
Integrated Teacher Credential Program
An integrated, undergraduate program leading to a B.A. degree and a Single Subject Credential in English, History-Social Science, or Mathematics for eligible students.
Four-Year Integrated (FYI) Teacher Credential Program in English, History-Social Science, or Mathematics
See the English department section of this Catalog for the FYI-English program.
Total Units Required for FYI English: 128
See the History department section of this Catalog for the FYI-History program.
Total Units Required for FYI History: 132
See the Mathematics department section of this Catalog for FYI-Mathematics program.
Total Units Required for FYI Mathematics: 122
Junior-Year Entry Integrated (JYI) Teacher Credential Program in English, History-Social Science, or Mathematics
See the English Department section of this Catalog for the JYI-English program.
Total Units in Addition to GE Required for JYI English: 76
See the History department section of this Catalog for the JYI-History program.
Total Units in Addition to GE Required for JYI History-Social Science: 72
See the Mathematics Department section of this Catalog for JYI-Mathematics program.
Total Units in Addition to GE required for JYI Mathematics: 68
Department of Secondary Education
Chair: Julie Gainsburg
Education (ED) 1208
Student Learning Outcomes
Single Subject Credential candidates will demonstrate proficiency in Teacher Performance Expectations within the six California Standards for the Teaching Profession:
- Engaging and supporting all students in learning.
- Creating and maintaining effective environments for student learning.
- Understanding and organizing subject matter for student learning.
- Planning instruction and designing learning experiences for all students.
- Assessing student learning.
- Developing as a professional educator.