Program: M.A., Music Industry Administration
The Master of Arts degree in Music Industry Administration is an interdisciplinary professional program for students desiring an advanced degree in Music Industry Studies or Music Business. The mission of the program is to prepare students for professional growth by integrating up-to-date knowledge of the music industry’s varied facets with the students’ own career-related experiences. The program emphasizes analytical thinking, clear written and oral communication skills, the practice of ethical decision-making and a global perspective. A spirit of collegiality among the students, faculty and members of the Hollywood/Los Angeles Music Industry community is fostered through social and professional interactions.
Designed to be accessible to the fully employed student and mid-career professional, the average course load for the major is 6 units per semester. With few exceptions, graduate courses are typically scheduled on nights and weekends. Program curriculum is drawn from the Mike Curb College of Arts, Media, and Communication and the David Nazarian College of Business and Economics, and it is administered as a self-supported program by the Tseng College of Extended Learning. Please visit the Master of Arts in Music Industry Administration program website for additional information.
A. Admission Requirements for Classified Status
To be admitted to the program, applicants must possess (at the time of enrollment):
- Educational Background: Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Cumulative GPA: 3.0 or 2.5 and GRE score, in one section of the test, in the upper 50th percentile. GRE scores are not required if the cumulative GPA is 3.0 or higher.
- English Proficiency Requirements for International Applicants: Applicants whose language of instruction was not in English are required to take one of the following placement exams:
B. Course Requirements
1. Core Courses (30 units)
ACCT 505 Financial and Managerial Accounting in Industry (3)
BLAW 651 Entertainment Business Law (3)
GBUS 600 Analysis of Contemporary Organizations (3)
MGT 620 Behavior in Organizations (3)
MKT 640 Marketing Management (3)
MUS 580 Music Industry Developments (3)
MUS 593 Current Trends in the Music Industry I (3)
MUS 680 Music Publishing and Copyright Administration (3)
MUS 683 Entrepreneurship in the Music Industry (3)
MUS 693 Current Trends in the Music Industry II (3)
2. Culminating Experience (3 units)
Total Units Required for the M.A. Degree: 33
If you would like more information about this program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chair: Ric Alviso
Cypress Hall (CY) 116
Graduate Coordinator: Andrew Surmani
Staff: Jesse Knepper
Staff: Hermine Tsaroukian
Student Learning Outcomes
After successful completion of all requirements for the Master of Arts in Music Industry Administration, students will:
- Demonstrate knowledge and identification of facts, terms, concepts, principles and theories within the music industry.
- Identify the purpose, importance and critical function of copyright within the music industry.
- Demonstrate professional competence and intellectual rigor in the execution of business practices and procedures common to the music industry.
- Develop interpersonal skills and leadership qualities necessary for effectiveness in mixed artistic and non-artistic team-based business environments.
- Develop interdisciplinary skills and entrepreneurial qualities necessary for career effectiveness within an evolving global music industry.
- Recognize the importance of remaining both inquisitive and adaptable as the music industry continues to evolve.
- Demonstrate the principles of exceptional character and assess the advantages, to both the individual and music industry alike, of incorporating them into one’s personality.