Program: B.A., English
Junior-Year Integrated (JYI) English Subject Matter Program for the Single Subject Credential
The undergraduate English major (consisting of five options: Literature; Creative Writing; Subject Matter; FYI and JYI; and Honors) is designed for students who desire to concentrate in one of the different fields subsumed under the broader category of “English.” Students are required to choose one of these options at the time they declare their English major. For further information concerning the choice of options or related career opportunities for those with a B.A. in English, see the associate chair of the department.
Four-Year Integrated (FYI) and Junior-Year Integrated (JYI) English Single Subject Matter Programs for the Single Subject Credential Option: prepares students for a career in teaching English at the middle school and/or high school level. FYI and JYI integrate English subject matter coursework, GE requirements and the coursework included in professional preparation, permitting students who successfully complete the program to earn both a B.A. in English and a Single Subject English Preliminary Credential in four years for FYI students and in as few as two years for JYI students. These programs meet the California CTC subject matter requirements for the English Single Subject Credential. For details on the Single Subject Credential Program, see the Credential and Department of Secondary Education sections in this Catalog.
JYI-English begins in the junior year for students who apply and are accepted to the program. This program integrates undergraduate subject matter knowledge with professional credential preparation content and experiences, and it leads to both the B.A. in English and the Single Subject Preliminary Credential in English. For admission, students must be juniors who have completed the lower division General Education requirements, including Title 5 parts 1 and 2 (including AFRS 161 or CHS 260 or POLS 155) and the lower division core of the English Subject Matter Option major.
Applications are necessary to both the University and, prior to the student’s penultimate semester in the program, to the Credential Program. Students will be responsible for successfully completing the English Subject Matter Exit Interview and the CSUN Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE) and for meeting the basic skills requirement (generally, passing the California Basic Educational Skills Test). Paralleling the FYI-English Program, the JYI-English Option requires students to complete the Extended Study requirement in Literature. Students considering the JYI-English Program should seek advisement as soon as possible for guidance in meeting admission and program requirements.
Courses Required Prior to SED 554/554S
ENGL 363 Study of Poetry (3)
Required Prior to or Concurrent with SED 554/554S
Required Prior to or SED 555/555S
Required Prior to or Concurrent with SED 555/555S
Courses Required for Program Completion
SED 514 Computers in the Instructional Program (3)
HSCI 466ADO Health Concerns of Adolescents (1)
SED 555/555S Supervised Practicum and Practicum Seminar (5/2)
*Course counts as upper division GE.
Additional Requirements for the JYI English Single Subject Matter Program (JYI) for the Single Subject Credential Option
- Earn a grade of “C” or better and maintain a GPA of 2.99 in: COMS 309; ENGL 250FE, 301, 302 and 311 or 371, 355, 363, 406 and 416 or 417, 429, 436 and 438; and ENGL 495ESM; TH 473/L; and upper division Extended Study in English.
- Earn a grade of “C” or better and a GPA of 3.0 in AAS/AFRS/ARMN/CHS/ELPS 417; EPC 420; HSCI 466ADO; SED 511, 514, 521, 525EN, 529, 554 and 555; and SPED 401C.
- Maintain an overall GPA of 2.75 or above.
- Apply for admission to the Credential Program prior to Fall of the junior year or as per advisement.
- Successfully complete the English Subject Matter Culminating Interview.
- Complete the Professional Teaching Portfolio (Teaching Performance Assessment) (SED 555).
- Develop and complete an Individual Induction Plan (SED 555).
Total English Subject Matter Units: 45
Total Single Subject Credential Units: 36
Total Units Required for JYI English Option V: 81
Chair: Kent Baxter
Associate Chair: Kate Haake
Staff: Marlene Cooksey, Frank de la Santo, Antoinette Mangum, Ronaldo Noche, Wendy Say
Sierra Tower (ST) 708
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate critical reading skills.
- Demonstrate effective writing skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of creative, literary, linguistic and/or rhetorical theories.
- Analyze British and American cultural, historical and literary texts.
- Analyze culturally diverse texts.
Four-Year Integrated and Junior-Year Integrated Undergraduate Option
Student Learning Outcomes
(As determined by the Department of Secondary Education.)
- Develop the ability to engage and support all secondary students (grades 6-12) in learning.
- Develop the ability to create and maintain effective environments for secondary student learning.
- Develop the ability to make subject matter comprehensible for student learning.
- Develop the ability to plan instruction and design learning experiences for all secondary students.
- Develop the ability to assess secondary students’ learning.
- Give evidence of the ability to develop as a professional educator.