This is an archive of the 2018-2019 University Catalog.
To access the most recent version, Please visit

Academic Leave (Leave of Absence) for Graduate Students

Graduate students in good standing may take a two-semester leave of absence. Though no formal approval is required, it is suggested that students seek academic advisement.

Graduate students in degree programs should contact their departments before the end of the second semester of leave of absence. Students who do not enroll by the third semester of leave of absence must reapply for admission.

The University will automatically place qualified resident and nonresident students on a leave of absence if they:

  1. Were matriculated students in the semester immediately prior to the beginning of the leave.
  2. Were not disqualified at theĀ end of the semester.

Foreign students with J or F visas are eligible for leave, but must request the prior approval of their international student advisor and apply for a leave of absence.