This is an archive of the 2018-2019 University Catalog.
To access the most recent version, Please visit

Bachelor’s Degree Requirements

To graduate from CSUN, students must complete all of the following requirements:

  1. The applicable General Education program, which includes Title 5 requirements in American History and U.S. State and Local Government.
  2. The requirements for a major.
  3. Writing Skills Requirements as listed below.

Lower Division Requirement

The University requires of all students a 3-unit lower division course in composition. Students must complete the lower division writing requirement no later than the semester in which 45 units are completed. Transfer students with more than 35 units who have not completed the lower division writing requirement must do so within the first semester of residence.

Students may meet this requirement by:

a. Completing one course from AAS 115, AFRS 115, CAS 115, CHS 115, ENGL 115, or QS 115; or an equivalent course at an accredited community or four-year college; or completing one of the following two-semester course sequences: AAS 113A/113B or 114A/114B, AFRS 113A/113B or 114A/114B, CAS 113A/113B or 114A/114B, CHS 113A/113B or 114A/114B, ENGL 113A/113B or 114A/114B, LING 113A/113B, QS 113A/113B or 114A/114B.

b. Receiving a satisfactory score on the Advanced Placement Test in English Language and Composition or the Advanced Placement Test in English Literature and Composition.

Completion of this requirement fulfills a portion of the Basic Skills Section of the General Education Program. Note: Completion of the lower division writing requirement is a prerequisite for all upper division General Education courses.

Upper Division Requirement

The University has implemented the Trustee Policy for the Writing Skills Graduation Requirement for all upper division students who will graduate in Spring 1982 or thereafter in the following manner:

    1. Students who have completed 56 units and have met the lower division writing requirement will be required to take an essay examination.
    2. Undergraduate students are encouraged to take the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Examination (UDWPE) as early as possible after condition “a” above has been met, but must take the UDWPE no later than the semester in which 75 units are completed. Students who have not taken the UDWPE by the completion of 75 units will have an advisement hold placed on their subsequent registration(s).
    3. Students who fail the exam will be permitted to repeat the examination. Students are strongly urged to make an appointment with a writing consultant at the Learning Resource Center by calling (818) 677-2033. This service is offered at no cost to students. Consultations may be available during the Summer (from June to August) on a limited basis.
    4. The examination will consist of an essay on an assigned topic evaluated by the faculty.
    5. The criteria of evaluation will include: (1) a demonstration of analytic skills; (2) use of relevant evidence to support an argument; (3) effective organization; and (4) use of standard English grammar, diction and mechanics.
    6. Administrations of the examination will be announced on the Testing Center website, as well as in other official University publications.
    7. The examination will be scheduled at least five times within an academic year.
    8. Registration may be completed at University Cash Services, Bayramian Hall, first floor. Online registration and payment also is available. See the Testing Center website for registration information.
    9. Certification of graduation writing competence will be transferable from one CSU campus to another. However, students must pass the UDWPE at the campus at which they are enrolled.
  1. Grade Point Average Requirement.
    Each student will complete with a GPA of 2.0 (grade “C” on a 4-point scale) or better:
    1. All units attempted, including those accepted by transfer from other institutions.
    2. All upper division units required in the major.
    3. All upper division units required in the minor (if student chooses to declare a minor).
    4. All units attempted at CSUN.
  1. Residency Requirement.
    Completion of 30 units in residence at CSUN in the following distributions:
    1. 24 of the 30 units must be completed in upper division.
    2. 12 of the 30 units must be in the major.
    3.  9 of the 30 units must be in General Education.

Note: CSUN coursework taken in non-matriculated status (i.e., Open University, self-support Winter Intersession, self-support Summer Session) is considered in residence, with a maximum of 24 special session units.

  1. Total Unit Minimums and Distribution:
    1. B.A. Degree: 120 units, 40 of which must be upper division units.
    2. B.S. Degree: 120 units, 36-47 of which must be upper division units.
    3. B.M. Degree: 132 units, 40 of which must be upper division units.
    4. All Bachelor’s Degrees: At least 9 units must be upper division General Education units.
  1. Formal approval by the faculty of the University.
    Application for Graduation, Graduation Evaluation and Diploma:
    Undergraduate students must file an Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma with Undergraduate Degree Services in the Office of Admissions and Records before they can be officially evaluated for graduation.