This is an archive of the 2021-2022 University Catalog.
To access the most recent version, please visit

This is an archive of the 2021-2022 University Catalog.
To access the most recent version, please visit


Credit, Other

Other Credit

Credit for Extension and Correspondence Courses

The maximum amount of credit through correspondence courses and/or extension courses allowed toward the baccalaureate degree is 24 units. The maximum allowed toward the second baccalaureate or master’s degree is 9 units. Extension course credit does not apply toward the residence requirement at CSUN. Extension courses numbered 800 do not carry any credit toward CSUN graduation or credential requirements.

Extension courses from other accredited educational institutions must have been acceptable for credit at the parent institution for the baccalaureate degree. The nature of the credit for the degree at CSUN will be determined by the appropriate academic departments.

Credit for Prior Learning

Credit for Prior Experiential Learning is recognized on an individual course-equivalency basis at CSUN, and appropriate credit is provided through the departmentally administered Credit by Challenge Examination policies and procedures. (Students should be aware, however, that policies for earning credit for prior learning vary from campus to campus within the CSU system.)

Non-Collegiate Sponsored Courses of Instruction

CSUN grants undergraduate degree credit for successful completion of non-collegiate instruction, either military or civilian, appropriate to the baccalaureate degree, which has been recommended by the Commission on Educational Credit and Credentials of the American Council on Education. The numbers of units allowed are those recommended in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services and the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs.

Credit for Military Service

CSUN grants elective undergraduate credit to veterans who have completed basic training in the U.S. Armed Forces. A maximum of 24 extension course units may be allowed for baccalaureate-level course credit certified by the Defense Activities in Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES). Courses taken in service schools may be given credit on the basis of an evaluation that determines they are of university-level and recommended for credit by the Center for Adult Learning and Educational Credentials of the American Council on Education. Records verifying such experience must be filed with Veterans Affairs in the Office of Admissions and Records.