Academic Leave (Leave of Absence) for Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students in good standing may take a leave of absence. Though no formal approval is required, it is suggested that students seek academic advisement. To encourage continuing students with satisfactory scholastic performance to return to CSUN following an absence, the University will automatically place qualified resident and nonresident students on a leave of absence if they:

  1. Were matriculated students in the semester immediately prior to the beginning of the leave.
  2. Were not disqualified at the close of the semester.
  3. Did not receive an undergraduate degree at the end of the preceding regular or Summer term at CSUN.

Eligible students who do not enroll in classes or who officially withdraw from all their classes within the first 20 days of instruction are placed on leave for that semester. If they do not register in the following semester, they are granted one additional semester of leave.


  • Foreign students with J or F visas are eligible for leave, but they must request the prior approval of their advisor in the International and Student Exchange Center and apply for a leave of absence.
  • Continuing students who do not enroll in the third semester after the two consecutive semesters of leave must reapply for admission.
  • New and returning students are not placed on any leave of absence and must reapply for admission during the next available application filing period.