Administrative Grading Symbols (I, IC, RP, SP, W, WU, CR and NC)

Incomplete (I)

The symbol “I” indicates that a portion of required coursework has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to unforeseen but fully justified reasons, and that a substantial portion of the course requirement has been completed with a passing grade and that there is still a possibility of earning credit. The work that is incomplete normally should be of such a nature that can be completed independently by the student for later evaluation by the instructor. An Incomplete shall not be assigned when a student would be required to attend a major portion of the class when it is next offered.

It is the responsibility of the student to bring pertinent information to the attention of the instructor and to determine from the instructor the remaining course requirements that must be satisfied to remove the Incomplete. A final grade is assigned when the agreed-upon work has been completed and evaluated. An “I” must normally be made up within one calendar year immediately following the end of the term during which it was assigned. This limitation prevails whether or not the student maintains continuous enrollment.

Students who believe they meet the necessary conditions to be assigned an Incomplete should obtain a Request for a Grade of Incomplete form, available at Current Student Forms.

Students should complete the form and submit it in person to the course instructor on or before the day of the final exam. The instructor should check all appropriate boxes in the Instructor Information section of the form and complete the information that describes the assignment(s) to be completed and the due date. If students fail to submit the request by this deadline, they should receive the grade that they have earned for the entire course, including work completed and penalties for work not completed. No retroactive requests for a grade of Incomplete are permitted. If the request for an Incomplete is granted, the instructor will assign a grade of Incomplete and add an Incomplete contract.

Incomplete Charged (IC)

If the Correction of Grade or Removal of Incomplete form is not submitted by the due date, the grade of Incomplete (I) will automatically change to an Incomplete Charged (IC), which is equivalent to an “F.” The “IC” replaces the “I” and is counted as a failing grade for GPA and progress point computation.

Report in Progress (RP)

This grade replaces the “SP.” The “RP” symbol shall be used in connection with thesis, project and similar courses in which assigned work frequently extends beyond a single academic term and may include enrollment in more than one term. The “RP” symbol shall be replaced with the appropriate final grade within one year of its assignment, except for master’s thesis enrollment, in which case the time limit will be established by the appropriate campus authority. The President or designee may authorize extension of established time limits.

Satisfactory Progress (SP)

The symbol “SP” is used in connection with thesis, project, developmental and similar courses where assigned work frequently extends beyond a single academic term. It indicates that work is in progress and has been evaluated and found to be satisfactory to date, but that the assignment of a precise grade must await completion of additional work. Enrollment for more units of credit than the total number of units that can be applied to the fulfillment of the student’s educational objective is expressly prohibited. Work is to be completed within a stipulated time period.

Withdrawal (W)

The symbol “W” indicates that the student was permitted to drop the course after the 20th day of instruction with the approval of the instructor and appropriate campus officials. It carries no connotation of quality of student performance and is not used in the calculation of GPA. (See Schedule Adjustments for more information.) Change of Schedule Request forms are available at Current Student Forms.

Withdrawal Unauthorized (WU)

The symbol “WU” indicates that an enrolled student did not officially withdraw from the course and also failed to complete course requirements. It is used when, in the opinion of the instructor, completed assignments or course activities or both were insufficient to enable evaluation of academic performance. For purposes of grade point average and progress point computation this symbol is equivalent to an “F.”

The instructor must report the last known date of attendance by the student. The symbol “WU” will be identified as a failing grade in the transcript legend and will be counted as units attempted but not passed in computing the grade point average. In courses which are graded Credit/No Credit or in cases where the student has elected Credit/No Credit evaluation, use of the symbol “WU” is inappropriate and “NC” will be used instead.

Credit (CR)

Credit (CR) is assigned for work equivalent to A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+ or C for undergraduate courses, and to A, A-, B+ or B for postbaccalaureate and graduate courses. CR grades are not included in the calculation of GPA. (GE and American Institutions courses may not be taken for CR/NC. They must be taken for a grade.)

No Credit (NC)

No Credit (NC) is assigned for work equivalent to C-, D+, D, D- or F for undergraduate courses, and to B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D- or F for postbaccalaureate and graduate courses. NC grades are not included in the calculation of GPA. (GE and American Institutions courses cannot be taken for CR/NC. They must be taken for a grade.)