Credit for Work Taken at Community Colleges

Credit earned in regionally accredited community colleges will be evaluated in accordance with the following provisions:

  1. Community college credit is allowed up to a maximum of 70 semester units. Credits and grades earned after the student has the maximum allowable may only satisfy subject and GPA requirements but cannot apply toward the total units required for graduation from the University.
  2. No upper division credit may be earned for community college work.
  3. No credit may be allowed for professional courses in education taken in a community college, other than an introduction to education course.

The University publishes a series of articulation agreements with local California Community Colleges outlining how coursework at the community college applies to CSUN requirements, both in the major and in General Education. These are available online at the Articulation System Stimulating Interinstitutional Student Transfer (ASSIST) website. ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California’s public colleges and universities.

Students who transfer to CSUN from a California Community College may have up to 39 semester units of their General Education Program certified. Such certification will be recognized within the limits published by the CSU Chancellor. General Education certified students need to complete General Education residence and upper division General Education requirements (see General Education).

Transfer students from California Community Colleges are urged to consult their community college counselors for assistance in determining the extent to which they meet that college’s General Education certification program and should send a final transcript to CSUN showing certification. That certification will then be reflected on the Degree Progress Report/Planner.