English, B.A. Junior-Year Integrated (JYI) English Subject Matter Program for the Single Subject Credential Option

The Transfer Degree Road Map on this page presumes the completion of lower division General Education, the United States History and Government requirements, and lower division core requirements for this major. See General Education Rules for more information. Lower division major requirements can be found by looking at the 4-Year Degree Road Map for this major. Refer to ASSIST for transfer information and articulation of courses taken at California Community Colleges. Verified Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) STAR Act students should use the ADT/STAR Act Degree Road Map for their major.

Once transfer coursework is evaluated, applicants and admitted students can use the Degree Progress Report/Planner to learn which requirements need to be completed.

To meet residency requirements, students must complete a minimum of 30 units at CSUN: 24 units must be upper division, 12 units in the major, and 9 units in General Education.

Students are strongly encouraged to seek advisement from the appropriate department advisors. Option advisors can be found on the English department webpage, or by contacting the department at (818) 677-3431.

Transfer Year 1: 1st Semester

Course Units
ENGL 301 3
ENGL 355 3
EPC 420 3
SED 511 3
Total 12

Transfer Year 1: 2nd Semester

Course Units
COMS 309 3
ENGL 250FE 3
ENGL 311 or ENGL 371 3
ENGL 363 or ENGL 463A or ENGL 463B 3
SED 514 3
Total 15

Transfer Year 2: 1st Semester

Course Units
AAS 417/AFRS 417/ARMN 417/CHS 417/ELPS 417 3
ENGL 436 or ENGL 438 3
TH 473/L 2/1
GE B5 Scientific Inquiry and Quantitative Reasoning 3
British Literature Extended Study* 3
Total 16

Transfer Year 2: 2nd Semester

Course Units
ENGL 406 3
ENGL 416 or ENGL 417 3
SED 525EN 3
SPED 420 3
American Literature Extended Study* 3
Total 16
Overall 84

*Refer to catalog for course lists.

Year 3 students should (refer to catalog for year 3 course lists):

  1. Successfully complete the English Subject Matter Exit Interview with two members of the English department (see advisor).
  2. Apply for admission to the Credential Program.
  3. Take the CBEST examination.
  4. Apply for the Certificate of Clearance from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.