Program: Preparation for Advanced Studies in Speech-Language Pathology Certificate
CSUN’s Certificate of Preparation for Advanced Studies in Speech-Language Pathology (Certificate of Pre-SLP) is designed for college graduates who (a) desire careers in the rapidly growing field of speech-language pathology but did not major in Communication Disorders and Sciences or Speech-Language Pathology as undergraduates, and (b) do not have the minimum prerequisite coursework necessary for admission to a master’s program. The two-year Certificate of Pre-SLP program enables participants to complete the minimum-required, upper division (third year/junior level or above) preparatory coursework for admission to most master’s-level Communication Disorders and Sciences/Speech-Language Pathology programs in the United States.
A. Admission Requirements
To be admitted to the Certificate of Pre-SLP program, applicants must possess:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in any field of study.
- No less than a 2.5 GPA in the last 60 semester/90 quarter academic units attempted, independent of when the bachelor’s degree was granted.
- The entire academic term in which the 60-90 units began will be used in this calculation. Postgraduate coursework is included in the calculation only if it consists of standard academic offerings at the upper division level (third year/junior level or above).
- Nonstandard credit offerings (professional training, CEU courses, non-degree or other professional credit) are not included in the calculation.
- Participants with less than a 2.5 GPA will not be considered for the program.
- Basic science requirements as identified by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association. These areas of study must involve courses taken at CSUN or courses that are eligible for transfer to CSUN.
- One college-level course in the biological sciences.
- One college-level course in either physics or chemistry.
- One college-level course in the social sciences.
- One college-level course in inferential statistics.
B. Required English Language Skills for International Students
Admission to the Certificate of Preparation for Advanced Studies in Speech-Language Pathology (Certificate of Pre-SLP) follows the University’s English Language Requirements for International graduates. Those who do not meet the language test score minimum requirements do not qualify for direct admission to the Certificate of Pre-SLP program.
Language Test Requirements
Applicants may be admitted to the Pre-SLP program with:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
One of the following scores:
- Computer Test (CBT): 213
- Paper Test (PBT): 550
- Internet Test (IBT): 79
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Score: 6.5
- PTE (Pearson Test of English) Score: 58
Please note: The GRE/MAT is not required for admission to the certificate of Pre-SLP program; however, it is required for all CSUN CDS Distance Learning master’s degree program applicants.
C. Program Requirements
CD 405 Phonetics (3)
CD 410 Hearing Science (3)
CD 415 Speech and Language Development (3)
CD 442 Speech Science (3)
CD 445 Audiometry and Hearing Conservation (3)
CD 446 Auditory Habilitation (3)
CD 450 Fluency and Disorders of Fluency (3)
CD 451 Phonologic and Articulatory Disorders (3)
CD 462 Language Disorders I (3)
CD 469A Diagnostic Methods in Communication Disorders (3)
Total Units for the Certificate: 30
Department of Communication Disorders and Sciences
Chair: Patricia Seymour
Monterey Hall (MH) 301
(818) 677-2852 (VOICE)
Staff: Yvonne Carrillo
Staff: Helga Boghossian