Program: Real Estate Certificate
The certificate in Real Estate is designed to prepare the individual who already holds a bachelor’s degree in a field other than Real Estate for entry into careers in real estate sales, brokerage, investment, management, appraisal or mortgage banking. The certificate meets the California Department of Real Estate (DRE) requirements for the Salesperson Exam and the degree requirements for the Broker’s exam.
A. Admission Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in any field from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience.
- Resume or curriculum vitae.
B. Program Requirements
- Course credit must be earned through regular or extended learning enrollment at California State University, Northridge.
- No more than 25 percent of the units required for the program shall be transfer units. The program coordinator will evaluate all transfer units.
- An application for the award of a University certificate must be filed no later than the first two weeks of the semester in which the program is to be completed.
- Candidates are eligible for the certificate when recommended by the faculty certificate coordinator and upon completion of the program within a 5-year period with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (a “B” average) in the program coursework. Grades below a “C” and grades of “I”, “RP/SP” or “RD” are not permitted toward the certificate.
1. Required Courses (6 units)
2. Elective Courses (9 units)
Select 9 units from the following:
Total Units Required for the Certificate: 15
Department of Business Law
Chair: Kurt M. Saunders, J.D., LL.M.
Bookstein Hall (BB) 3121
Student Learning Outcomes
Certificate recipients will:
- Be eligible to apply for state licensing.
- Apply discipline-specific knowledge and skills in the field of real estate. This learning outcome includes a working knowledge of real estate principles, real estate finance, real estate law and appraisal.
- Demonstrate professional-level written communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to use critical-thinking skills when analyzing and solving problems.