Program: M.S., Business Analytics
The latest advances in information technology, including mobile devices, social media, artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things (IoT), have been generating and storing vast amounts of data. In addition, more powerful computers and better optimization models have facilitated the transformation of the data into information and knowledge for analyzing business problems and making informed decisions. All of these changes have created an enormous demand for professionals with business analytics skills in the global marketplace.
The Master of Science in Business Analytics (MS BANA) prepares students for a successful career in a very fast-growing field of business analytics. Students complete a rigorous program with an emphasis on the development of substantive business analytics knowledge and its practical application as well as critical thinking and communication skills. Students will be equipped with graduate-level knowledge and skills necessary to analyze business problems and make data-driven decisions.
A. Admission to the Program
Applicants must meet the requirements of the University as listed in this Catalog. Applicants must also follow a two-step application process. File a formal University application for admission to Cal State Apply, with official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate university work, and also submit the MS BANA program application by the deadline. (See University requirements for applications.)
Minimum MS BANA admission requirements:
- Academic Performance
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Good standing with the last college or university attended:
- Overall GPA of 2.75 or higher, or
- GPA of 2.75 or higher in the last 60 semester/90 quarter units
- Completion of a statistics course or Business Analytics Foundation (SOM 591) at CSUN with a “C” or higher; or the program director’s consent based on work experience in business analytics.
- Official GMAT/GRE Score Report
- Applicants to the MS BANA program in the David Nazarian College of Business and Economics at CSUN are generally required to supply GMAT or GRE scores (taken within the past 5 years) as part of their application package.
- Under certain circumstances, an applicant may petition to waive the GMAT or GRE requirement. Please refer to the GMAT/GRE waiver form.
- TOEFL Requirement
- If a graduate applicant has earned a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a college or university in the U.S., the TOEFL or other English language proficiency exam is not required.
- If a graduate applicant has earned a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a college or university outside the U.S. where English is the principal language of instruction, the TOEFL or other English language proficiency exam is not required.
- Applicants who do not satisfy the requirements mentioned in the previous two bullet points require the TOEFL or other English language proficiency exam.
- Please see International Admissions for details.
- Provide a current resume. Minimum work experience is not required but strengthens the application for competitive review in the admission process.
- Provide a statement of purpose detailing your background, career path, professional interests and how you plan to use your MS BANA degree.
Satisfaction of the minimum admission requirements is not a guarantee of admission; admission is competitive. A holistic review of the applicant’s application will be considered in the admission decision.
B. Classified and Conditionally Classified Status
- Students who have deficiencies in any of the minimum program admission requirements above (e.g., GPA) may be admitted as conditionally classified students if space permits. Students will be notified of the requirements for classified status in their letter of admission to the MS BANA program.
- The conditions to fulfill the requirements will be stated in their letter of admission to the MS BANA program. Students admitted as conditionally classified students must satisfy these conditions before completing more than 12 units of coursework in the MS BANA program. Along with these conditions, to meet the minimum requirements for classified status, MS BANA students must have a 3.0 or higher GPA for all work attempted since admission to the program.
C. Program Requirements
1. Required Core Courses (18 units)
BANA 607 Introduction to Business Analytics (3)
BANA 610 Visualization and Communication for Business (3)
BANA 614 Database Management for Business (3)
BANA 620 Data Mining and Predictive Analytics for Business (3)
BANA 622 Programming for Business Analytics (3)
BANA 630 Prescriptive Analytics for Business (3)
2. Elective Courses (9 units)
At least 3 units must be taken from the BANA courses.
BANA 640 Supply Chain Analytics (3)
BANA 650 Healthcare Analytics (3)
BANA 690A-Z Selected Topics for Business Analytics (3)
GBUS 690A-Z Selected Topics for Graduate Business Insights (3)
MKT 656 Marketing Analytics (3)
3. Culminating Experience (3 units)
Total Units Required for the M.S. Degree: 30
Department of Systems and Operations Management
Chair: Seung-Kuk Paik
Bookstein Hall (BB) 3121
Graduate Coordinator: Amir Gharehgozli
Program Learning Outcomes
Students receiving a Master of Science in Business Analytics will be able to:
- Demonstrate mastery with key concepts, models and processes associated with business analytics.
- Demonstrate mastery in applying analytical skills to business problems and to make informed and ethical decisions supported by data with the use of the latest business analytics tools and skills.
- Evaluate, interpret and communicate the findings and solutions from data-driven analysis effectively.