Upper Division General Education (UDGE) (9 Units)

General Education coursework at the 300-level or above must be selected from Scientific Inquiry and Quantitative Reasoning (B5); and Arts, Humanities, and U.S. History (C1, C2, or C3); Social Sciences and California and Local Government (D1 or D3/D4); and/or Comparative Cultural Studies/Gender, Race, Class, and Ethnicity Studies, and Foreign Languages (F). Students must take 3 units in Section B5 (Scientific Inquiry and Quantitative Reasoning) and 6 units from Sections C, D, and F with no more than 3 units from Section C or Section D. UDGE courses (300-level and above) are not to be taken sooner than the semester in which junior standing (60 units) is achieved. Students enrolling in upper-division GE courses shall have completed required lower-division GE courses in written communication, oral communication, critical thinking and mathematics/quantitative reasoning.

Writing Intensive (WI) Requirement

All upper division GE courses are designated Writing Intensive (WI). Therefore, the WI requirement will be satisfied by meeting the upper division General Education requirement. Writing Intensive courses require students to complete writing assignments totaling a minimum of 2,500 words. Only courses approved for upper division GE or as equivalent pattern modifications may be designated as Writing Intensive.

General Education Residency Requirement

Students must complete a minimum of 9 units of General Education in residence at a California State University campus at the upper division level.

Grading Method Requirement

Students may not take courses on a Credit/No Credit basis to fulfill GE requirements. Refer to the Policies and Procedures section on Credit/No Credit for all restrictions on this basis of grading.

Additional General Education Rules

  • A student may count for GE credit any GE course that counts for major credit.
  • Changes or substitutions to GE that are specific to particular majors are listed in the General Education Pattern Modifications section or may be listed in the description of the major program. An academic advisor in the major should be consulted regarding these changes.
  • Courses taken to fulfill a particular GE requirement will continue to count for GE credit even after a student changes major. However, once a student changes the major, the student is responsible for fulfilling the GE requirements in the areas of GE that have not been completed.
  • Students must earn a “C-” or better grade in the four basic skills courses (Oral Communication, Written Communication, Critical Thinking and Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning).

Requirements for Transfer Students

Transfer students can meet CSUN GE requirements by completing a General Education Certification* plan at a California Community College and 9 units of upper division GE coursework at CSUN after transfer, or by completing the General Education program at CSUN, which includes the following areas of study: Basic Skills, Subject Explorations (which include Scientific Inquiry and Quantitative Reasoning; Arts, Humanities, and U.S. History; Social Sciences and California and Local Government; Lifelong Learning; and Comparative Cultural Studies/Gender, Race, Class, and Ethnicity Studies, and Foreign Languages).

Students starting CSUN as upper division transfer students must also meet a 3 unit CSUN requirement in Comparative Cultural Studies/Gender, Race, Class, and Ethnicity Studies, and Foreign Languages. This requirement can be met through transfer credit evaluation or the completion of an appropriate CSUN upper division GE course designated as a Comparative Cultural Studies course. ADT students may be required to complete upper division Section F courses only if those courses are already specified in the 60 units of baccalaureate-completion requirements for the ADT-to-bachelor’s degree.

Students whose transfer record does not include an articulated Ethnic Studies (ES) graduation requirement course must take a course designated as meeting that requirement prior to graduation.

*Students who may be eligible for IGETC or CSU General Education certification are urged to consult with their community college counselor about this process, preferably in advance of their transfer.