Program: B.S., Public Health
The B.S. in Public Health program serves students who are interested in pursuing careers in public health. The program prepares students to plan, implement and evaluate health and human service programs and to work in the field of public health. Graduates of this program are employed by public and private health and human service agencies (city, county, state and national), hospitals, schools, corporations, and nonprofit and professional consulting organizations.
1. Lower Division Required Courses (20 units)
*Meets GE, Natural Sciences.
**Meets GE, Mathematics.
***Meets GE, Social Sciences.
2. Upper Division Health Sciences Department Core (7 units)
3. Required Public Health Core Courses (36 units)
ENGL 306 Report Writing (3)†
EOH 353 Global Perspectives of Environmental Health (3)†
HSCI 314 Organization and Delivery of Health Services (3)
HSCI 331 Public Health Education (3)
HSCI 345 Public Health Issues (3)††
HSCI 391 Computer Applications in Health Science (3)
HSCI 431 Health Behavior (3)
HSCI 437 Strategies for Making Health Decisions (3)
HSCI 439 Community Health Action (3)
HSCI 441 Community Health Education (3)
HSCI 445 Program Evaluation for Health Education (3)
HSCI 494/HSCI 494IN Academic Internship (2/1)
†Meets UDGE, Lifelong Learning.
††Meets UDGE, Social Sciences.
4. Health Sciences Electives (12 units)
Select up to 12 units from the following, with Public Health advisor approval:
HSCI 231 Women and Health (3)
HSCI 335 Holistic Health (3)
HSCI 336 Health Aspects of Drug Use (3)
HSCI 337 Nutrition and Health (3)
HSCI 433 Counseling of Health Problems (3)
HSCI 434 Lactation Education (3)
HSCI 435 Health Science for Children and Youth (3)
HSCI 436 Health Concerns of Adolescents (3)
HSCI 438 International Health (3)
HSCI 440 Family Health (3)
HSCI 442 Health, Culture, and Diversity (3)
5. General Education (48 units)
Undergraduate students must complete 48 units of General Education as described in this Catalog.
Total Units Required in the Major: 75
General Education Units: 36
Additional Units: 9
Total Units Required for the B.S. Degree: 120
Co-Program Coordinator: Vicki Ebin
Jacaranda Hall (JD) 2542
Co-Program Coordinator: Salvador Esparza
Jacaranda Hall (JD) 2538
Student Learning Outcomes
Students in the Public Health program will accomplish the Seven Areas of Responsibility as stated by NCHEC:
- Area I: Assess needs, assets and capacity for health education.
- Area II: Plan health education.
- Area III: Implement health education.
- Area IV: Conduct evaluation and research related to health education.
- Area V: Administer and manage health education.
- Area VI: Serve as a health education resource person.
- Area VII: Communicate and advocate for health and health education.