International (Foreign) Student Admission Requirements

Undergraduate and Graduate Applicants

The CSU must assess the academic preparation of foreign students. For this purpose, “foreign students” include those who hold U.S. temporary visas as students, exchange visitors, or in other nonimmigrant classifications.

The CSU uses separate requirements and application filing dates in the admission of foreign students. Verification of English proficiency (see the section below on the English Language Requirement for undergraduate and graduate applicants), financial resources and academic performance are each important considerations for admission. Academic records from foreign institutions must be on file at least by June 15 for Fall applicants and November 15 for Spring applicants for the first term and, if not in English, must be accompanied by certified English translations.

For more information and assistance, contact CSUN International Admissions at

Application Forms and Deadlines

The University has established deadlines to ensure the timely processing of all application materials, receipt of academic records, test scores, financial affidavit and other documents so that there will be adequate time for the admitted applicant to make the necessary passport, visa and travel arrangements to reach the U.S. and the CSUN campus prior to the start of each semester. The CSUN application and document submission deadlines are published at International Admissions.

Each applicant must declare an educational objective (major) when the application is filed. The acceptability of any foreign work will be determined by the University. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security requires F-1 and J-1 visa students to enroll full time. International students must comply with all University and U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulations.

Academic Records

Students with international school records are required to submit official academic documents in their original language of issue, along with an official English translation. All official transcripts and documents should be mailed to California State University, Northridge, Attention: International Admissions (faxes are not accepted).

Undergraduate international applicants must submit all official:

  1. Secondary school records.
  2. Yearly records from each postsecondary college or university attended (if any), indicating the number of hours per semester or per year devoted to each course and the grades received.

The CSUN International Admissions office will inform applicants if additional records are required.

All academic records are evaluated in the CSUN International Admissions office to verify that applicants have had an education comparable to that required of California high school graduates or students transferring to the University from other regionally accredited institutions of higher education in the U.S.

Graduate or postbaccalaureate international applicants must submit all official:

  1. Yearly records from each postsecondary college or university attended (if any), indicating the number of hours per semester or per year devoted to each course and the grades received.
  2. Documents that confirm awarding of the degree, certificate or diploma with the title and date (if the degree has already been awarded).

Eligible international graduate applicants are considered for admission in consultation with a representative of the graduate program to which the student is applying for study. For further information, visit the International Admissions website for university admission requirements and the Graduate Programs section of this Catalog to review individual program admission requirements.

Any questions on the above requirements should be directed to

English Language Requirement

All undergraduate international applicants whose native language is not English and who have not attended schools at the secondary level or above for at least three years full time where English is the principal language of instruction must present a score of 61 or above on the Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT). Some majors and some campuses may require a higher score.

All graduate and postbaccalaureate international applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose native language is not English and whose preparatory education was principally in a language other than English must demonstrate competence in English. Those who do not possess a bachelor’s degree from a postsecondary institution where English is the principal language of instruction must receive a minimum score of 80 on the Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT). Some departments or programs require a higher score.

CSUN minimum TOEFL standards are:

Level Internet Paper
Undergraduate 61 500
Graduate 80 550

CSUN accepts a number of alternative English language proficiency tests. For more information and assistance, contact International Admissions at or visit the International Admissions website.

Finances, International Students

In compliance with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and SEVIS regulations, all international student applicants entering the U.S. on the F-1 or J-1 student or exchange visitor visa must provide evidence of sufficient funds available for their studies. For the required financial support documents (e.g., bank statement, financial affidavit and/or financial guarantee letter), see the information for applicants at International Admissions.

Although CSUN has no financial aid for international students, some resources are published at Helpful Websites for International Students and Scholarship Opportunities for International Students. Part-time employment opportunities, though not plentiful, are available on campus. International visa students may receive on-campus work clearance from the CSUN International and Exchange Student Center at the start of their first semester of study. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations prohibit off-campus employment of international students in the U.S. without prior permission.