Transfer Policies of CSU Campuses

Most commonly, college-level credits earned from an institution of higher education accredited by a regional/national accrediting agency are accepted for transfer to member universities of the CSU; However, authority for decisions regarding the transfer of undergraduate credits is delegated to each university.

California Community Colleges (CCC) and other authorized certifying institutions can certify up to 39 semester (58.5 quarter) units of General Education-Breadth (GE-Breadth) or 37 semester (55.5 quarter) units of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) for transfer students to fulfill lower division general education requirements for any CSU prior to transfer.

“Certification” is the official notification from a California Community College or authorized institution that a transfer student has completed courses fulfilling lower division general education requirements. The CSU GE-Breadth and the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) certification course lists for particular community colleges can be accessed on the official transfer and articulation system for California’s public colleges and universities website, ASSIST.

CSUs may enter into course-to-course or program-to-program articulation agreements with other CSUs, any or all of the California community colleges and other regionally accredited institutions. Established CSU and CCC articulations may be found on ASSIST. Students may be permitted to transfer no more than 70 semester (105 quarter) units to a CSU from an institution which does not offer bachelor’s degrees or their equivalents, for example, community colleges. Given the university’s 30-semester (45-quarter) unit residency requirement, no more than a total of 90 semester (135 quarter) units may be transferred into the university from all sources.

Transfer Requirements

Applicants who have completed fewer than 60 transferable semester college units (fewer than 90 quarter units) are considered lower division transfer students. Applicants who have completed 60 or more transferable semester college units (90 or more quarter units) are considered upper division transfer students. Applicants who complete college units during high school or through the summer immediately following high school graduation are considered first-time freshmen and must meet the CSU minimum eligibility requirements for first-time freshman admission. Transferable courses are those designated for baccalaureate credit by the college or university offering the courses and accepted as such by the university to which the applicant seeks admission.

Lower Division Transfer Requirements

Due to increased enrollment demands, some CSUs do not admit lower-division transfer applicants. Students are advised to check the respective university they are interested in to see if lower division transfer applications are accepted.

An applicant who completes fewer than 60 semester (90 quarter) units of college credit is considered a lower-division transfer student. Due to enrollment pressures, some CSUs do not admit lower-division transfers so that more upper-division transfers can be accommodated.

Having fewer than 60 semester (90 quarter) units at the point of transfer may affect eligibility for registration priority at a CSU and may affect the student’s financial aid status.

California resident transfer applicants with fewer than 60 semester or 90 quarter units must:

  1. Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (“C”) or better in all transferable units attempted.
  2. Have completed, with a grade of “C-” or better, a course in written communication and a course in mathematics or quantitative reasoning at a level satisfying CSU General Education Breadth Area A2 and B4 requirements, respectively.
  3. Be in good standing at the last institution attended.
  4. Meet any one of the following eligibility standards.

Transfer Based on Current Admission Criteria

The applicant meets the freshman admission requirements in effect for the term for which the application is filed.

Transfer Based on High School Eligibility

The applicant was eligible as a freshman at the time of high school graduation and has been in continuous attendance in an accredited college since high school graduation.

Transfer Based on Making Up Missing Subjects

The applicant had a qualifiable eligibility index at the time of high school graduation (combination of GPA and test scores if needed), has made up any missing college preparatory subject requirements with a grade of “C-” or better, and has been in continuous attendance in an accredited college since high school graduation.

One baccalaureate-level course of at least 3 semester (4 quarter) units is usually considered equivalent to one year of high school study.

(Note: Some CSUs may require lower division transfer students to complete specific college coursework; for example, the four basic skill courses, as part of their admission criteria.)

Upper Division Transfer Requirements

Generally, applicants will qualify for consideration for upper division transfer admission if they meet all of the following requirements:

  1. Cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 in all transferable units attempted.
  2. In good standing at the last college or university attended.
  3. Completed at least sixty (60) transferable semester (90 quarter) units of college level coursework with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher and a grade of “C-” or better in each course used to meet the CSU general education requirements in written communication, oral communication, critical thinking, and quantitative reasoning, e.g., mathematics.

The 60 units must include at least 30 units of courses that meet CSU general education requirements, including all of the general education requirements in communication in the English language (both oral and written) and critical thinking and the requirement in mathematics/quantitative reasoning (usually 3 semester units) or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements in English communication and mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning.

Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T)

The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) and the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees offered at the California Community Colleges (CCC) are designed to provide a California community college student the optimum transfer preparation and a clear admission pathway to the CSU degree majors.

CCC students who earn an Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission with junior standing to a CSU and given priority admission consideration over other transfer applicants when applying to a local CSU or non-impacted CSU program. AA-T or AS- T admission applicants are given limited priority consideration based on their eligibility ranking to an impacted university/program or to CSUs/programs that have been deemed similar to the degree completed at the community college. Students who have completed an AA-T/AS-T in a program deemed similar to a CSU major are able to complete remaining requirements for graduation within 60 semester (90 quarter) units. It is the responsibility of the student who has earned an AA-T/AS-T to provide documentation of the degree to the CSU. For the admissions process, students are responsible for working with their community college counselors to complete verification of AA-T or AS-T degree progress through the eVerify process within the established university deadlines.

Visit the Associate Degree for Transfer website and ADT/STAR Act Degree Road Maps for more information.

Provisional Admission

CSUN may provisionally or conditionally admit transfer applicants based on their academic preparation and courses planned for completion. The university will monitor the final terms to ensure that those admitted complete all required courses satisfactorily. All accepted applicants are required to submit an official transcript of all college level work completed. CSUs may rescind admission for any student who is found to be ineligible after the final transcript has been evaluated. In no case may such documents be received and validated by the university any later than a student’s registration for their second term of CSU enrollment. For more information, see CSUN Provisional Admission.