Withdrawals (Undergraduate Policy)

Cancellation of Registration or Withdrawal from the Institution

Students who find it necessary to cancel their registration or to withdraw from all classes after enrolling for any academic term are required to follow the university’s official withdrawal procedures. Failure to follow formal university procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses and the need to apply for readmission before being permitted to enroll in another academic term. Information on canceling registration and withdrawal procedures is available from the Office of the Registrar and at Late Schedule Changes.

Students who receive financial aid funds must consult with the Financial Aid and Scholarships Department prior to withdrawing from the university regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period. Students who have received financial aid and withdraw from the institution during the academic term or payment period may need to return or repay some or all of the funds received, which may result in a debt owed to the institution.

Reducing the number of enrolled units also may affect eligibility for campus housing, international student status, and more. Before making schedule adjustments, consult the appropriate offices as described in Impact of Academic Schedule Changes.

Undergraduate students may withdraw from no more than 18 semester units of CSUN courses. This 18 semester-unit limit does not apply to the first 20 days of each semester when withdrawals from courses are permitted without academic restriction or penalty. Medical withdrawals, whether partial or complete, do not count toward the maximum 18 units. The maximum of 18 semester units applies only to units completed at CSUN and includes all baccalaureate-level CSUN courses, whether the student is matriculated or enrolled through self-support, such as The Tseng College of Extended Learning.

Withdrawals During the First 20 Days of Instruction

Students who want to completely withdraw from the university prior to or during the first 20 days of instruction may do so without academic penalty. Students who officially withdraw after classes begin will owe a prorated tuition-fee amount. Any charges or refund amounts will display through the CSUN Portal in student SOLAR accounts approximately 4 to 6 weeks after classes begin. For more information, see Student Finance or contact University Cash Services. New and returning students who completely withdraw from the university prior to the 20th day of instruction are not considered continuing students and must reapply for admission to attend any subsequent semester. Those students who are continuing from the previous semester will automatically be placed on a leave of absence if they meet the criteria.

Withdrawals After the 20th Day of Instruction

Students who must withdraw after the 20th day of instruction and prior to the last three weeks of instruction for reasons clearly beyond their control, and who can justify serious and compelling circumstances, may withdraw without academic penalty by securing the approval of the instructor and the appropriate campus officials. Further information is available at Late Schedule Changes. If approved, the grade of “W” will be assigned for withdrawals after the 20th day of instruction. Students completely withdrawing after the 20th day of instruction will be considered continuing students for the next semester. Under no circumstances does nonattendance nor the stopping of payment of a check constitute a withdrawal from the university.

Withdrawals During and After the Last Three Weeks of the Semester

Withdrawals are not permitted during the final three weeks of instruction or thereafter except in cases such as accident or serious illness where the cause of the withdrawal is clearly beyond the student’s control and the assignment of an incomplete grade is not practical. Ordinarily, it is expected that withdrawals during this period will be complete withdrawals from the university except in circumstances where sufficient work has been completed in one or more of the courses to permit an evaluation of coursework and an assignment of a grade.

Students may obtain forms and procedural information at Late Schedule Changes or from the Office of the Registrar.

Medical Withdrawals

Medical withdrawals will not be granted if the student has taken final exams. Petitions requesting retroactive withdrawals beyond one year after the conclusion of the semester for which the withdrawal is requested will not be considered.

In cases where medical evidence and the physical demands of a class overwhelmingly support withdrawal from only a portion of a student’s program of study, partial medical withdrawals will be permitted when there is a clear link between the class and the medical condition. Requests solely seeking a reduced course load without specific and focused medical justification do not demonstrate the required link.

In cases of severe illness, the student is advised to provide written permission for a representative or, if mentally incapacitated, a student’s legal representative to request a withdrawal on the student’s behalf.

Further information is available at Late Schedule Changes.