Program: B.A., Chicano and Chicana Studies
Double Major Option
The double major in Chicano and Chicana Studies is a 33-unit program designed to give the student special preparation in the discipline of Chicana/o Studies through a combination of lower and upper division core requirements.
1. Lower Division Required Courses (9 units)
2. Upper Division Required Courses (12 units)
3. Upper Division Electives (12 units)
Section A (6 units)
Select two courses from the following:
Section B (6 units)
Electives in upper division Chicana/o Studies are to be selected with the advice and approval of the advisor.
Preapproved CHS Electives
CHS 345 History of the Mexican Peoples (3)
CHS 346 History of the Chicana/Mexicana (3)
CHS 347 Indigenous Intellectual History (3)
CHS 360 Political Organizations and Social Movements of the Barrio (3)
CHS 361 Urbanization and the Chicana/o (3)
CHS 364 World Migration and the Chicana/o (3)
CHS 366 Women in Latin America (3)
CHS 420 Chicana/o in the U.S. Economy (3)
Humanities and the Arts
CHS 306 The Chicana/o in Films (3)
CHS 308D/DL Days of the Dead: Chicana/o Perspectives on Death, Spirituality, and Art (2/1)
CHS 310 Regional Music of Mexico (3)
CHS 350 Religions and Spiritualities in Chicana/o Communities (3)
CHS 382 Literary Constructions of Chicanx Identity (3)
CHS 390 Alternative Chicana/o Press (3)
CHS 405 Chicanas/os and the Media (3)
CHS 409 Chicana/o Art Studio in Painting (3)
CHS 414/L Dance of Mexico I and Lab (1/2)
CHS 415/L Dance of Mexico II and Lab (1/2)
CHS 476/F Healing Traditions in Chicana/o Communities (2/1)
CHS 486A Nahuatl I (3)
CHS 486B Nahuatl II (3)
CHS 333 Language and Society: Chicanas/os and Other Language Minority Children (3)
CHS 416 Children’s Songs and Games (3)
CHS 417 Equity and Diversity in Schools
CHS 430 The Chicana/o Child (3)
CHS 431 The Chicana/o Adolescent (3)
CHS 433 Language Acquisition of the Chicana/o and ESL Speakers (3)
CHS 434 Current Educational Theories of Chicanas/os in the Schools (3)
CHS 480 Chicana/o-Latina/o Children’s Literature in Communities (3)
CHS 482 Language of the Barrio (3)
Environmental Justice and Public History
Total Units in the Double Major Option: 33
Program Learning Outcomes
Students receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Chicano and Chicana Studies will be able to:
- Demonstrate an ability to think critically, analytically and creatively about the Chicana/o experience in the local and global society.
- Demonstrate competency in oral, written and research skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of creative and performance arts.
- Acquire a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Chicana/o history, culture, arts, language and sociopolitical issues.
- Acquire the leadership skills that will promote social change in Chicana/o communities and broader society.