Program: Multiple Subject Credential
Multiple Subject University Internship
The Multiple Subject Credential program is primarily designed for students who desire to teach in self-contained classrooms typical of elementary schools and to provide effective instruction for diverse learners in grades K-8. The Multiple Subject Credential program includes preliminary, advanced and specialist credentials. There are four pathways toward earning a preliminary multiple subject credential: Traditional Program, Accelerated Collaborative Teacher (ACT) Preparation Program, Multiple Subject Intern Program, and Integrated Teacher Education Program (ITEP) for Freshmen or Junior students. The ITEP program is a joint program of the Liberal Studies department and the Michael D. Eisner College of Education.
The Multiple Subject University Internship credential program is a post-baccalaureate Multiple Subject Credential program open to qualified students who are employed on an internship credential as full-time teachers in self-contained classrooms in nearby public school districts. The University Internship program offers a BCLAD option for qualified candidates.
BCLAD Emphasis Credential: Students enrolled in the Traditional, ACT or Multiple Subject University Internship program and who are proficient in two languages may elect to pursue the BCLAD emphasis credential. The department offers the BCLAD option to candidates who possess academic proficiency in Armenian and English, Korean and English, or Spanish and English. In addition, students fluent in Cambodian and English, Cantonese and English, Mandarin and English, or Vietnamese and English may complete a BCLAD emphasis program through the CSUN Asian BCLAD Consortium. For more information about the CSUN Asian BCLAD Consortium, please contact Clara Park at (818) 677-2580. Candidates pursuing the BCLAD emphasis credential complete additional coursework in learning to teach in dual languages.
A. Admission Requirements
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- General credential program admission requirements and verification of a full-time teaching position in a self-contained elementary classroom (General Education) within the CSUN geographic region for supervision and in one of the participating school districts: (Alhambra USD, Burbank USD, Castaic Union SD, Glendale USD, Las Virgenes USD, LAUSD, Newhall SD, Palmdale SD, Pasadena USD, Saugus Union SD, Sulphur Springs SD, Westside SD and multiple local charter schools).
- Internship program application submitted to Multiple Subject Internship program office.
- Preservice requirement to be completed at time of application to the Multiple Subject Internship program:
- English Language Learner (ELL) preservice component: 40 hours.
- Additional preservice requirement: 120 hours.
B. Required Coursework
1. Required in First Semester of Enrollment and Concurrent with EED 550B(1)—Supervised Field Experience and Seminar
KIN 595PE Applied Methods for Physical Education (1)
2. Required Prior to or Concurrent with EED 550B(2)—Supervised Field Experience and Seminar
3. Required Prior to or Concurrent with EED 550B(3)—Supervised Field Experience and Seminar
AAS/AFRS/ARMN/CHS/ELPS 417 Equity and Diversity in Schools (3)
EED 575 Integrated Social Studies and Arts Curriculum and Methods (3)
SPED 420 Improving the Learning of Students with Special Needs Through Differentiated Instruction and Collaboration (3)
4. Required Concurrent with EED 551C or EED 561CB—Supervised Practicum and Seminar
Completion of 40 hours of fieldwork/alternative experiences that include English language learners/inclusive students/emergent learners/different grade levels.
5. Required Concurrent with EED 550B(2)—Supervised Fieldwork
6. Required Concurrent with EED 551C or EED 561CB (BCLAD only)—Supervised Practicum
7. Supervised Fieldwork, Practicum and Seminars
EED 550B(1) Supervised Fieldwork and Seminar (2)
EED 550B(2) Supervised Fieldwork and Seminar (2)
EED 550B(3) Supervised Fieldwork (2)
EED 551C or EED 561CB (BCLAD only) Supervised Practicum (3)
EED 559C Supervised Fieldwork Seminar (2)
EED 559F Student Teaching Seminar (1)
Application for Supervised Practicum must be submitted one semester prior to the semester in which candidate wishes to begin his or her final practicum (EED 551C or 561CB). Information about deadline dates for submission of applications for Supervised Practicum is mailed to interns in the middle of the semester before the final semester of Supervised Practicum.
C. Other Program Requirements for Credential Recommendation
- Successful completion of California Teaching Performance Assessment (PACT Teaching Event and CATs) and goals for the Individual Induction Plan (completed in EED 559F—Student Teaching Seminar).
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 in professional education coursework and an overall GPA of at least 2.75.
- A grade of “C” or better in all program courses.
- U.S. Constitution requirement.
- CPR Certification (infant, child, adult).
- Multicultural Category A course in culture/language of emphasis (BCLAD candidates only).
- Passage of Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA).
- Forty (40) hours of fieldwork: alternative experiences that include English language learners/inclusive students/emergent learners/different grade levels.
D. Required Multiple Subject Intern Program Coursework Sequence
Four-Semester Sequence for Part-Time Candidates:
Total Units Required for the Credential: 41
For more information about this program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Department of Elementary Education
Chair: Mira Pak
Education (ED) 1206
Intern Coordinator: David Moguel
Student Learning Outcomes
Multiple Subject Teacher Candidate Learning Outcomes
- TPE 1: Engaging and supporting all students in learning.
- TPE 2: Creating and maintaining effective environments for student learning.
- TPE 3: Understanding and organizing subject matter for student learning.
- TPE 4: Planning instruction and designing learning experiences for all students.
- TPE 5: Assessing student learning.
- TPE 6: Developing as a professional educator.